What are the Indian stock market timings? – is often a question of every beginner. Firstly, we must know that the Indian stock market has two main stock exchanges in India.
Opening and closing time for both exchanges are the same.
- NSE (National Stock Exchange): Derivative, Equity, Currency, and Bonds.
- BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange): Derivative, Equity, Derivative, Currency, and Bond.
- MCX (Multi Commodity Exchange): Commodity
Stock Market Timings
The stock market is open on the weekdays and remains closed on the weekends (i.e., Saturday and Sunday). Additionally, both the exchanges remain closed on national holidays as well.
You can find here a complete list of the holidays of the stock exchange.
So, here are the highlights for you.
- Equity market trading time – Monday to Friday 9:15 AM to 03:30 PM.
- Commodity market (MCX) trading time – Monday to Friday 10:00 AM to 11:30 PM or 11:55 PM.
- Agri-Commodity (NCDEX) market trading time – Monday to Friday 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM.
MCX Trading Timings 2019
MCX trading timing divided into two sessions.
- Morning session – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Evening session – 5:00 PM – 11:30 PM or 11:55 PM
NCDEX Trading Hours
Agri-commodities or NCDEX (National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange) is available for futures trading up to 5:00 PM.
Whereas, other commodities like Metals, Bullions, and Energy products are available up to 11:30 PM / 11.55 PM. International referenceable Agri-commodities are also available up to 09:00 PM.
Stock Market Timings in India
The Indian stock market timings has three different sessions.
- Pre-opening session
- Normal session or Continuous session
- Post-closing session
So, let us discuss the above in details and try to understand their importance in the Indian stock market trading.
The opening time of the pre-opening session is 9:00 AM. The span of that session is 9:00 AM to 9:15 AM. Consequently, the concept of the pre-opening session was introduced due to
However, pre-opening session divided into two sub-sessions.
1. Order Entry period
- Duration of order entry period is 9:00 AM to 9:08 AM.
- In this period investors can place a buy/sell order.
typeof modification or cancellation of order is allowed.
2. Order Matching period
- This period will start immediately after the completion of the order entry period.
- Therefore, in this session addition/modification/cancellation of placed order is not allowed.
- So, the purpose of this session is the determination of opening price and trade confirmation.
- Moreover, the span of 9.08 AM to 9.12 AM used for order matching and confirmation. After that, the period from 9.12 AM to 9.15 AM used as buffer period to ensure a seamless transition from the pre-market session to the normal session.
Normal Session or Continuous Session
- The regular session duration is 9.15 AM to 3.30 PM.
- So, when the buying order price is equal to the selling price of any share, the transaction executed. Therefore, this session is known as a bilateral matching transaction. All the transactions executed as per price and time priority.
- So, the traders and investors can buy/sell the stocks in this session continuously.
- In addition, the block deal trading session (35 minutes) start right after the commencement of the continuous session.
- The share market closing time in India is 3.30 PM. Moreover, the period between 3.30 PM to 3.40 PM is used for settlement or as price calculation period.
- Likewise, NSE and BSE index closing price is actually weighted average price of the stocks that are constituents of the index between 3 PM to 3.30 PM.
- The Post-closing session is between 3:40 PM to 4:00 PM.
- So, traders and investors can place buy/sell orders in the post-closing session at the closing price.
- Therefore, the transaction will be confirmed at the closing price when buyers/sellers are available for any stock.
NOTE: Pre-opening session and the Post-closing session both are only available for the cash market. Future & options trading has no such facilities.
Additionally, the Indian stock market also has a special trading session on the auspicious occasion of Diwali named as Mahurat Trading.
Mahurat trading time is declared just a few days before Diwali. The Mahurat Trading time takes place in the evening for one hour only. Most importantly, the timing of the session is 6.30 PM to 7.30 PM, and the pre-open session is from 6.15 PM to 6.30 PM.
In conclusion, I hope this article on ‘Indian Stock Market Timings’ is helpful for you. Please leave your queries in the comment section and let us know your views regarding this article.